Saturday, August 27, 2022

Normal 2

     Sitting down. I just did some things and now I'm continuing to do things by doing this. [stop] I finally placed a rod in my closet [stop]. My friend lent me a drill because I couldn't find the drill that's usually sitting in a bag with some other tools. It was basically a hack job but as long as the rod can hold the clothes that won't fit in my dresser, that's fine. I previously used a simple tension rod to try and hang some clothes, but after some time the tension rod collapsed under the weight of the clothes. [stop] I tried to hang some heavier stuff on it, including a few jackets, and then it all fell. I just left everything on the floor of the closet until today. I'll have to wash all the clothes that were marinating on the floor.

    The closet came with a wooden rod installed in it. It was painted white and connected to the wall by two "rod holders" I guess. They sort of look like cups. They're concave. I think whoever installed the rod system just used screws to hold the rod holders in place, which is apparently not sufficient when it comes to keeping something fastened to drywall. I can't remember what you need to keep the screws firmly in place, but I think they're plastic and meant to hold the screws. [stop] Anyway, due to the deterioration of the drywall itself or due to the lack of a firm home for the screws, the whole system collapsed out of the wall on the left side. This is what led me to employ the tension rod, and now the more secure rod system using two metal rod holders, into which the metal rod slips and is held. The rod itself is actually comprised of two rods, one thinner than the other, that slide in and out so as to make the whole thing adjustable to lengths between 30 and 42 inches, or something in that range.

    Instead of placing the screws directly into the drywall, an act which would be a repetition of the previous builder's mistake and flawed design, I [stop] decided to screw the rod holders into the bottom pieces of a little shelf that sits on top of the small closet space. The bottom pieces are wooden and also white, and I think they support and level out the shelf itself, which is another flat plank of wood. [stop] I figured by drilling into the wood the whole system would be safer. At first, I tried to drill the screws right into the wood, but this didn't work and the drill started clicking and cracking. So I used another bit to make a hole in the wood first and then drilled the screws into these holes. I forget to mention that before I did any of this I used a tape measure to ensure the relative levelness or flushness of either rod holder with the other. I placed them generally where I thought they should be, then I used a pencil to mark the general space where I thought they should generally be placed. After making the holes, I drilled the screws into their homes. Some of them were a bit shallow, but I didn't feel like removing them and going back through the whole process of making deeper holes. Maybe I'll go back and fix this later, but maybe not since I already hung some clothes on the rod and [stop] it seems secure enough. Here's hoping.

    Now I just need to clean the clothes and see how many I can hang up with the space and hangers at my disposal. I might have to purchase more. I also noticed that I have to angle the hangers sort of awkwardly to have them slip onto the rod. That doesn't bother me all that much, so I think it's fine. I did google some different types of hangers that might help to avoid this whole awkward maneuvering process, but I'll look into this more later. All I could find were smaller "hangers" that you can connect to the already hanging clothes, clothes hanging from an actual hanger, and vertically hang more clothes from the smaller sub-hangers. This seems useful for saving space, so maybe I'll invest in some of these and see how they do. [stop]

    I keep getting those guilt trip notifications from Duolingo. I like the app just fine, and I think it's a good introduction to language learning. I'll try to pick up the Cyrillic alphabet along with my efforts to improve my Spanish, I think. I got through a few of the unfamiliar letters in the past week or so. [stop]

    Sometimes I think about throwing my phone into a large body of water because it distracts me so much on a daily basis. On the other hand, it's useful for obvious reasons. I'm starting to receive emails related to academic/professional duties or whatever and I find it hard to reply to them. Usually I just forget about them by some method of procrastination or executive dysfunction, although I'm not sure if I can rightly call it that.  It feels like that, anyway, which is why it's important to sit down and do something like this so I can be deliberate or focused or whatever, which can sometimes lead to being more deliberate or focused when doing other things that require more of that behavior. [stop] There's a trash bag sitting on the floor to my right, so I'll take that out soon. I wonder what's in it because it doesn't seem very full. Maybe it's not trash. I'll look through the little cinched hole in the top of the bag before I officially decide to take it out. [stop]

    Took out some recycling earlier. I was feeling productive and I guess I try to use that energy when I have it. "Deliberate and focused" energy. They say that recycling doesn't actually do as much good as we would like, but it's better than straight-up landfill shit at the end of the day, I should think. [stop] Are there certain phrases that automatically evoke a feeling of inferiority or lack of knowledge? The difference between saying "I should think" and "I do think"– two phrases that really have the same linguistic function. [stop] When I think about recycling I always think about a conveyor belt of recyclable garbage getting picked through by a bunch of waste management employees wearing hard hats. I wonder if this is the case or if they have some automatic technology that sorts this stuff now. I saw a movie in which the main characters go to a recycling plant and somebody working there talks about an explosion and a fire that took place on account of a misplaced aerosol can or something. Seems dangerous and I can't remember the film that I saw all of this in. It stuck with me though. [stop]

    I wrote some stuff in pen in a moleskin notebook yesterday. I was waiting for some friends to meet me. [stop] I don't need a natural stopping point for this. A story ends whenever it ends, doesn't it? If you're still curious about something in the story, then that's the story as well. The story can live with you that way. As long as it's "deliberate and focused," which is just a way of saying that the creator felt like doing something and they did.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artifacts

I have these artifacts of people that I once knew, or wanted to know. It's hard to say if I ever succeeded in knowing someone. This coul...